Friday, July 4, 2008

CHARACTERS AND CHARACTERIZATION
This story is characterized by a couple. It is a husband and his wife.
· The characterization of the husband:
He is a tricky man. He is a disloyal husband; therefore, he likes to deceive his wife. Once he can cheat well, he thinks that he can cheat again to deceive his wife. “I steal a blank tile from the letter bag when she’s not looking…” (p. 21) “I played the word CHEATING when I cheated” (p. 30) “Maybe I should cheat again,…”(p. 38)
He is also an emotional person. Whenever his wife does something he doesn’t like, he will hate her, mad at her, and think to throw her away. “She tells me she has lousy letters. For some reason, I hate her more.” (p.15) “If only there was some way for me to get rid of her.” (p.27)
· The characterization of the wife:
She is a harsh woman. She is mean because she doesn’t do anything when her husband lies in pain and starts to die. She just sits and watches. It describes that she has no mercy for her husband. In the beginning, she plays “JINXED”, which means that she curses her husband. It indicates that she is full of hatred. “I watch my wife's smug expression as she rearranges her letters. Clack, clack, clack.” (p. 6) “She plays JINXED,…” (p. 7)“I fall to the floor. My wife just sits there, watching.” (p. 44)

No comments: